How to Apply
How to Apply
Step 1: Confirm Your Eligibility
Eligible homeowners may only apply for the Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) if they meet all of the general eligibility criteria and one of the additional eligibility criteria requirements. If you apply before you’re otherwise eligible, your application will be withdrawn, and you’ll need to reapply. A homeowner may only reapply for HAF once, so please be sure to apply only if eligible.
Step 2: Gather Your Documents
Please provide as much documentation as possible with your application. This will speed up the processing time and reduce the possibility of being withdrawn for not meeting a document request deadline. Information on supporting documents can be found at the bottom of this page.
Minimum documentation required to submit a HAF application:
- Most recent mortgage statement for all mortgages on the property
- Most recent property tax statement (please check with your county assessor)
- Most recent utility bill (any utility) addressed to you at the property
- Documentation that you meet one of the additional eligibility criteria
- If you would like assistance with other housing costs, the most recent account statement for each housing cost (HOA, condo fees, manufactured home lot rent, etc.). Please make sure the statement includes your information and account number as well as the name, address, telephone number, and email of the housing cost provider.
- Please note: 1) HAF doesn’t provide assistance with homeowner’s insurance unless it’s included in the escrow charges for your mortgage. 2) HAF doesn’t provide past-due assistance with your property taxes unless they’re two years delinquent, and HAF doesn’t provide assistance with property taxes unless they’re included in the escrow charges for your mortgage.
- If you receive assistance from any of the following government assistance programs, please provide the most recent statement or award letter showing you’re currently receiving benefits (only verification of one program is needed, if applicable). If the benefits cover the HAF application period, Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) may use this statement instead of requesting more detailed income documentation.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) Award Letter
- WIC Nutrition (Women, Infants, and Children) Award Letter
- Oregon Health Plan (OHP) Award Letter
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Award Letter
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Award Letter
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Award Letter
- Tribal 477-Self Sufficiency Program Award Letter
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program Award Letter
- Low Income Household Water Assistance Program Award Letter
- Oregon Energy Assistance Program Award Letter
Documents that, if applicable to your situation, will be needed to complete review:
- If you’re in foreclosure, please upload the foreclosure documents, such as Notice of Sale or court papers. If you don’t upload foreclosure documentation, we won’t know you’re in foreclosure. Please also include foreclosure information and the scheduled sale date, if known, on the mortgage screen of your application.
- Divorce decree that describes ownership or award of the property or housing cost responsibility, in cases where an ex-spouse is still on the property title or mortgage. Don’t include the ex-spouse on your application if they’re not living at the property.
- Name change documentation. If the name on your property title or mortgage statement is different from the name on your application or identification, provide documentation demonstrating legal name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, legal name change court order).
- If one of the property owners is dead, a death certificate, contact information and documentation appointing a personal representative, and a letter of explanation related to the applicant’s occupancy and interest in the property.
- If the property is owned in a trust, documentation of the trust, including the certificate of trust, the trustee’s authority to act for the trust, and their contact information.
- Mobile home title or ownership certificate, loan statement, and/or lot rental agreement
- Floating home loan statement and/or moorage rental agreement
- Land sale contract and payment statement
- Private mortgage loan document and payment statement
- If you or your property were the subject of an Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) application in any capacity, you will need to submit a letter of explanation about the application(s) and full income documentation, including a HAF profit and loss form for rental income. OHCS will check the ERA database for you and your property.
Step 3: Apply
The homeowner application portal is available in English, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese by selecting your preferred language from the drop-down menu on the top left of the screen. You may select other languages from a separate drop-down menu that is accessible using Google Translate. The online DocuSign packet is available in English and Spanish; please contact us for Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Vietnamese translations.
Step 4: Watch Your Email for Further Instructions
Submit the HAF DocuSign Packet to Complete Your Application
Once you’ve filled out the online application, you must submit the DocuSign packet, which is the HAF application signature page and third-party authorization. You can email this packet to yourself at the end of your application in the portal. You must then electronically sign the DocuSign packet and log back into the portal to submit the finished application and DocuSign packet. If you don’t do this, your application is not considered to be submitted and will not be processed.
You’ll receive email updates during the application process and notifications when a document request is initiated. An overview of the application review process and timeline is available here. An additional 30+ days can be expected each time any of the following applies:
- Your second mortgage, HOA, manufactured home park, or other housing cost provider is not enrolled,
- Your mortgage servicer or other housing cost recipient objects to participation or provides incomplete information,
- A document request is needed for any documents, or
- Multiple housing costs are requested because it takes time to coordinate enrollment and record exchange for each housing cost.
These are typical documents and explanations about the document type. If a document is requested of you and you don’t have a responsive document, please submit a letter of explanation (LOE) stating why you don’t have the document and describing the information that is requested in the document. OHCS will determine whether a letter of explanation satisfies the HAF underwriting requirements.
|Hardship affidavit and application signature page (DocuSign packet)||For applications submitted through the homeowner portal, this is sent as part of the DocuSign packet during the application submission process. You must initiate the DocuSign packet from the homeowner portal, sign it after opening it using the email registered with your application, and then submit your application from the homeowner portal. If a homeowner needs to sign a paper copy and upload it to their application in the homeowner portal, a copy is available on the HAF website under Key Resources.|
|Third Party Authorization (TPA)||This document allows us to communicate with your lender, mortgage servicer, HOA, attorney, housing counselor or intake partner, county tax office, and others that are related to your housing costs. Please be as thorough as possible to include any parties HAF may need to contact, your account number, and contact information for those parties. For applications submitted through the homeowner portal, this is sent as part of the DocuSign packet during the application submission process.|
|Most recent mortgage statement||Please upload the most recent mortgage statement(s) for all mortgages on property. If there are no mortgages on your property, only upload the property tax statement. If you do not have a mortgage statement from within 30 days of your application date, please upload the most recent mortgage statement and a letter of explanation on why you don’t have a recent statement.|
|Most recent property tax statement||Please upload the most recent property tax statement. Please check with your county assessor if you don’t have this. It can often be found online.|
|Most recent utility bill||Please upload the most recent utility bill addressed to you at the property. Utility bills sent to email addresses or P.O. Boxes do not meet this requirement.|
|Most recent government benefits statement||Please upload your most recent government benefits statement(s) if you receive government assistance from any of these programs. Only one is needed, but it must be current and show your name, address, and award period. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) Award Letter WIC Nutrition (Women, Infants, and Children) Award Letter Oregon Health Plan (OHP) Award Letter Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Award Letter Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Award Letter Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Award Letter Tribal 477-Self Sufficiency Program Award Letter Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program Award Letter Low Income Household Water Assistance Program Award Letter Oregon Energy Assistance Program Award Letter|
|Most recent HOA or condo association statement||Please upload your most recent HOA, condo, or other association statement or invoice if you would like these housing costs evaluated for HAF assistance. Be sure to include your account number and an address, phone number, and email address for the parties HAF needs to contact.|
|Unemployment benefits information||If you are currently on unemployment, please upload the award letter or benefits statement covering the most recent 30-day period.|
|Self-employment information||If you are self-employed, do contract work for others, or are paid 1099 income for services, please complete and upload Oregon HAF’s Profit and Loss Statement (Fillable PDF | PDF | Excel Spreadsheet). Please also upload your most recent tax return.|
|Documentation of your rental income||If you rent a room in your home (roommate or Airbnb) or own a rental property, please upload all applicable rental agreements. If you don’t have a long-term rental agreement for each rental situation, please complete and upload Oregon HAF’s Profit and Loss Statement. Also upload your most recent tax return.|
|Information to explain applications for Emergency Rental Assistance||Did you or a renter in your home or rental property apply for Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) through the state or a local government? If so, please complete and upload a letter of explanation detailing the amount, reason, and outcome of each application. If you receive rental income, including through ERA, please upload documentation of your rental income (see above). You will need to submit full income documentation.|
|Explanations of different ownership or loan situations||If the applicants listed in your application don’t exactly match the people listed on your mortgage or property ownership record, please upload a letter of explanation and supporting documentation of property ownership changes and/or housing cost responsibility. For example, a divorce decree awarding the home and/or duty to pay the mortgage to one person.|
|Explanations of benefits from similar Tribal or local government mortgage programs||Did you apply for a different HAF plan, for either mortgage or housing assistance, through a local government or a Tribal government? If so, please complete and upload a letter of explanation detailing the amount, reason, and outcome of your other application. OHCS’ HAF program cannot provide duplicate benefits as another federally funded program, which OHCS will evaluate as part of your application. Failure to disclose this fact is considered providing false information to OHCS and may have adverse consequences.|
|Name change documentation||If your current name is different than the name listed on your mortgage or property ownership record, please upload documentation of your name change. For example, a marriage certificate, divorce decree with name change, or a legal name change court decree.|
|OFA Certificate of Compliance||Please upload a Certificate of Compliance issued to your mortgage servicer as part of the Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance program if you received a copy in the mail or after participating in the program.|
|Judicial court case information||If you are or were in court over your mortgage or housing costs, please upload the judicial complaint, summons, or motion for foreclosure, forfeiture, or sheriff’s sale, including a filed court case number.|
|Documentation of your land lease, lot rent, or moorage fees||If you don’t own the land under your home, please upload your land lease, manufactured home lot rental agreement or moorage agreement, and the most recent payment statement or invoice. Be sure to include your account number and an address, phone number, and email address for the parties HAF needs to contact.|
|Nonjudicial foreclosure documentation||Please upload any Notice of Sale or “Danger Notice” sent by certified mail or personally served, which includes a trustee’s sale date (foreclosure).|
|Floating home ownership certificate||If you live in a floating home, please upload the title or ownership certificate.|
|Sheriff’s sale foreclosure documentation||Please upload any notices received by certified mail or personally served that include a sheriff’s sale date (foreclosure).|
|Manufactured home ownership certificate||If you live in a mobile or manufactured home, please upload the title or ownership certificate. This will be verified online.|
|Private mortgage loan documents and mortgage statement||If your mortgage is through an individual or nonbank company, please upload a copy of the private mortgage contract and the most recent payment statement or invoice. Be sure to include your account number and an address, phone number, and email address for the parties HAF needs to contact. The person entitled to payments (the lender or current beneficiary) may be different than the company that processes your payments.|
|Chattel loan documents||If you live in a mobile or manufactured home that is considered personal property (typically, you don’t own the land), please upload a copy of the mortgage contract (called a chattel loan) and the most recent payment statement or invoice. Be sure to include your account number and an address, phone number, and email address for the parties HAF needs to contact. The person entitled to payments (the lender or current beneficiary) may be different than the company that processes your payments.|
|Land sale contract and payment statement||If you purchased your home through a land sale contract, please upload a copy of the land sale contract and the most recent payment statement or invoice. Be sure to include your account number and an address, phone number, and email address for the parties HAF needs to contact. The person entitled to payments (the lender or current beneficiary) may be different than the company that processes your payments.|
Learn more about the Homeowner Assistance Fund’s application process.